Get ready... - HotWhopper Chat HotWhopper Chat
Follow HotWhopper:

Welcome to HotWhopper Chat

Before you post, read the introduction to HotWhopper Chat in the Wiki.

Welcome to HotWhopper Chat!

Whether you're new to climate topics or an expert you are most welcome. Before you can comment you'll need to register or sign in. Click one of the buttons below.

Where Australia's electricity comes from

This widget is updated every couple of minutes and shows why Australia is such a huge GHG emitter.

Get ready...

SouSou
edited September 2016 in Latte Bar
This chat forum and the Wiki will open next Tuesday (Australian time). If anyone has more suggestions of resources, links, videos whatever for the Wiki, can you either add them to the Wiki directly or post them in a comment somewhere please.

I'll do a post on the blog on Tuesday, so all of you who are on Twitter or Facebook or wherever, would be great it you would pass the word around after I've announced it.

Also - if there is anything you can suggest that is a "must do" before letting everyone in - let me know.

A big thank you to all for making the place come alive :)

Comments

• One thing I would add before going public are links to the posting rules (and tips) e.g. on the homepage, in the right-hand menue and right next to the comments box as we do on SkS. That way, they are readily accessible regardless of where one currently is.
  • Good idea, Baerbel. Done.
  • Not sure if it possible but the ability to like/dislike/agree/tag as informative a post is useful  imo
  • Good idea, tadaa. Someone else asked for something like that and I've been looking into it. I'll keep you posted.
  • I've enabled reactions. It's not quite what I've been looking for so will keep hunting. They will do for the time being.
  • I enjoyed being able to have an adult conversation on climate change. That is rare in the English-language internet. Let's hope it stays that way.
  • Thanks, Victor. I hope so too :)
  • Yes, I'm very impressed with what you've done here, and am looking forward to the roll out.
    Congratulations!

Guess I better get around to introducing myself - but that's a tough one between too much and not too much.  I worked on it some but was distracted by a local issue and a simple Letter to the Editor has snowballed on me and now I've got a new blog.  Yippy , filling a vacuum and hoping to do my little part to help pass ColoradoCare Amendment69 a state wide health care proposal and have a place to park other election related stuff.   http://memescourier2016.blogspot.com  but enough about me.

Sou, I'm assuming you'd be fine with me putting together a blog post in the next couple days - about this Chat Room going online?

• Sou said:
    I've enabled reactions. It's not quite what I've been looking for so will keep hunting. They will do for the time being.
    I may be looking in the wrong place, but where should we look for "reactions"? I'm expecting to see some kind of icon for each post but haven't spotted it yet.
  • Sou - one other thing I just rememberd and am not sure if it has come up already: will you be able to close threads for additional comments if need be, like when it gets out of hand or veers completely off-topic? It's a neat option to have enabled for moderators (just in case).
    Sou
  • SouSou
    edited September 2016
    BaerbelW said:
    I may be looking in the wrong place, but where should we look for "reactions"? I'm expecting to see some kind of icon for each post but haven't spotted it yet.
    Baerbel, if you hover over a comment (made by someone else), the options should appear. If that doesn't happen or if you think it makes it too hard, I can make the icons visible all the time.

Also, I think that Yes - a discussion can be closed (or sunk). I'll check it out. Hopefully the need won't arise too often.
  • Yes, I'm very impressed with what you've done here, and am looking forward to the roll out.
    Congratulations!

Thank you, CC :) You and everyone who's been commenting have been a big help.
    Sou, I'm assuming you'd be fine with me putting together a blog post in the next couple days - about this Chat Room going online?
    Oh yes please. The more people know about it the better. Wait until it's announced (on the blog) before you post about it. The scheduled time for the launch is 9:00 pm Tuesday 13 September Australian Eastern Standard Time. By my estimate, this is:
    • 11:00 pm Auckland
    • 9:00 pm Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane
    • 7:00 pm Perth Australia
    • 4:00 pm Mumbai
    • 1:00 pm Paris
    • 12:00 noon London
    • 11:00 am GMT/UTZ
    • 7:00 am US Eastern
    • 4:00 am US Pacific
  • 5:00 am US Mountain Time
                                                   :p
  • Maybe the reactions should always be visible. Either I am too stupid or it does not work for my computer.
    Sou
  • Maybe the reactions should always be visible. Either I am too stupid or it does not work for my computer.
    What Victor says (I'm using Firefox and don't see any reactions when hovering over a comment)
    Sou at HotWhopper
  • SouSou
    edited September 2016
    I made them permanently visible a few hours ago, Baerbel. Are you saying you still can't see them?

Edit: I just checked using my test login and I can't see them either (in Firefox). I'll have to investigate.

Edit2: I just changed another setting. You should be able to see them now. Let me know if not.
  • Thanks, Sou! They are visible now for me on Safari with my iPad. I'll check Firefox once I'm back home.
  • Works for me with Firefox and got some first reactions. Thanks.
  • Hello Sou, congratulations and good luck.  Here's my introduction blog post over at my WUWTW,
    hope you concur.   =)
    _________________________________________________________________________________________

Check out HotWhopper Chat! - internet’s serious climate chat room
    http://whatsupwiththatwatts.blogspot.com/2016/09/check-out-hotwhopper-chat.html

My previous post is pretty bleak.  But, I’m a healthy human and hope does spring eternal even when marching into the valley of destruction.  That’s why I was excited when Sou of HotWhopper blog fame invited me to join HotWhopper Chat before it went public and to help with getting it rolling and iron out any glitches.

I’m enthusiastic about this promising discussion forum.  It’s not a place for childish contrarian arguments about the validity of climate science.  After all, the science is pretty well established.  As any constructive honest debate will make plenty clear to anyone who engages in it with good faith.  
    Don’t believe me? Try it!  

Or check out the folks who collect all the studies for our general edification SkepticalScience.com.
    Here’s a summary: 
    http://www.SkepticalScience.com/argument.php
    ... global warming and climate change myths, sorted by recent popularity vs what science says. Click the response for a more detailed description. You can also view them sorted by taxonomy, or by popularity.
    Instead HotWhopper Chat is a serious place for serious people who are concerned about what we are doing to our climate, you know, our Earth’s life support system. 

People who want a safe space for constructive discussion about climate issues and public communication issues among like minded individuals.  It’ll also be a great place to help us network and hopefully develop a sense of community among people who are concerned with climate science and communication. 

There are many of us out here, now we have a new interesting place to get together and discuss such things among friends.  Drop on by for a visit.
    Visit:
    https://chat.hotwhopper.com
    By Sou | September 12, 2016
    We’ve launched! A big thank you to everyone who helped in the early stages. A warm welcome to everyone who visits.  ...  (and so on)
    Sou
  • That's great. Thank you very much CC.